Many parents and caregivers are still unaware of how important oral health is to their kids’ overall health. Delaying or skipping dental care as well as not helping your child practice proper oral hygiene can lead to the increased chances of dental diseases.
Your child’s baby teeth are at risk of decay as soon they first appear (usually around the age of 6 months). Though it typically occurs in the upper front teeth, it can affect the other teeth as well. Furthermore, in some cases, the tooth decay can turn so severe that the teeth cannot be saved, and will have to be removed.
However, the good news is that tooth decay is completely preventable!
Your First Dental Visit!
When you see that your child’s first tooth has made its appearance, it is time you schedule a dental visit. Your first visit for dentistry for children in Bendigo should take place within six months after the first tooth appears, and it shouldn’t be delayed later than your child’s first birthday.
Don’t wait until your child starts schools to make the first visit as dental emergencies don’t wait that long. Get your child comfortable with healthy oral habits, and be a role model for them to look up to.
Apart from visiting the dentist to examine your child’s mouth and to check the growth and development, you are also making the visit to getting your child comfortable around the dentist.
In order to make the visit positive, follow these steps.
- Make a morning appointment as children tend to be more rested and cooperative during the morning hours.
- Don’t let your emotions and anxiety show out because children can pick up on your emotions. So stay positive.
- Never use dental visits as a way to punish or threaten your children.
- Talk to your children about visiting the dentist.
During your visit, the dentist might:
- Check for oral injuries.
- Let you know if your child’s teeth are prone to decay.
- Clean your child’s teeth.
- Provide you with tips for daily oral care.
- Discuss teething, and use of pacifiers, or about finger sucking habits.
- Schedule the next check-up.
In search of a dental clinic for your kid’s dental needs? Drop us a line or visit us at Eaglehawk Dental and experience first-rate dentistry for children in Bendigo.
Tips On Dentistry For Children From Bendigo Eaglehawk Dental
One of the best ways to prevent tooth decay is by getting your child enthusiastic about oral hygiene. After all, brushing isn’t at the top of every kid’s list of favourite things to do. So, you can make it fun and more acceptable by getting your child a toothbrush and toothpaste that they will love and want to use. For instance, look for child-friendly toothpaste’s that contain fluoride and comes in different flavours, and colours.
Additionally, knowing the right way to brush your child’s teeth is just as important as finding the right kind of toothpaste and toothbrush. Start with these simple steps for a good start.
- Begin practising oral hygiene by cleaning your baby’s mouth a few days after birth by using a moist gauze pad or washcloth to wipe the gums clean.
- Continue brushing your child’s teeth twice a day using a pea-sized amount of fluoride toothpaste until you feel like your child can handle brushing on his or her own. You should start cleaning daily after you find your child has two teeth that touch.
- In case of children who are younger than 3 years, brush the children’s teeth using fluoride toothpaste in an amount no more than the size of a rice grain. Brush thoroughly twice a day, or as directed by a dentist.
- Always supervise your children when they are brushing their teeth and make sure they aren’t swallowing the toothpaste.
Child Benefits : www.ada.org.au
Info for Kids : www.ada.org.au
Dont Wait, Book Now !
Your local Bendigo dental professionals at
Conveniently located on the 10 Parsonage Grove, Eaglehawk VIC 3556
Dr. Maheesh Nair and his dedicated team at Eaglehawk Dental are proud to be your trusted family dentist in Bendigo and surrounds!
We Care For You!
Thank you for choosing Eaglehawk Dental for your dental care in Bendigo. We understand that every patient is different and we aim to deliver a pleasant and gentle dental experience. To ensure that we provide you with the most comprehensive care, your first dental visit would include:
- Comprehensive oral exam and all required X rays
- Our clinical team would then review your X rays and discuss your treatment needs and
- We at Eaglehawk Dental, understand that you have unique dental needs and conditions and we tailor make your treatment accordingly.
Suburbs We Service
Dentist in Eaglehawk
Dentist Near Eaglehawk North
Dentist Near California Gully
Dentist Near Jackass Flat
Dentist Near Maiden Gully
Dentist Near Sailors Gully
Dentist Near Long Gully
Dentist Near White Hills
Dentist Near Epsom